The left bar of the search page offers several search facets to control which search results will be displayed.
Colectica Portal is highly configurable. Which options are available here depends on the configuration of your portal.
The Item Type facet determines which types of items will be returned in the search results. The most common types of items are show directly in the list. You can select additional types of items by clicking the More button. After selecting your prefered item types, click the Refine button to perform the search.
If no item types are selected, all item types will be searched.
Series, Study, Instrument, etc.¶
Colectica Portal may be configured to allow you to search within certain items. For example, the Study facet allows you to select one or more studies, and only see results that are part of that study.
After selecting your preferred items, click the Refine button to perform the search.
The Life Stage facet allows you to find only items related to particular life stage (e.g., Birth, Early Years, Adulthood).
After selecting your preferred life stages, click the Refine button to perform the search.
The Topics facet allows you to find only items related to a particular topic.
After selecting your preferred topics, click the Refine button to perform the search.
Enter some text in the search query box. Only items containing this text somewhere in their definitions will be included in the search results.
|house||Searches for different forms of the word house (e.g., house, housing, houses)|
|house age||Searches for different forms of the word house AND age|
|house AND age||Same as above; The “AND” is optional|
|house OR age||Searches for either house or age|
|“house age”||Searches for the exact phrase house age|
|house -age||Searches for items that contain house but that do not contain age|
|+house||Searches for the exact term house; housing and houses would not be included|
|~house||Fuzzy search for house; may include close words like hose and huse|
|<house age>||Searches for house and age in close proximity to each other|
The Sort by field determines the order in which search results are displayed.
- Items will be displayed in alphabetical order.
- Items will be sorted by their type (e.g., variable, question, study), and then alphabetically.
- Items will be sorted by their Metadata Rank. The more times an item is referenced by other items, the higher its metadata rank.
- Items will be sorted by how recently they were published.
Advanced Search Options¶
Click the More button, if available, to display advanced search options.
- Include deprecated items
- Determines whether items marked as deprecated will be shown in the search results. By default, deprecated items are not displayed.
Depending on your portal’s configuration, advanced search options may not be available.
Performing a Search¶
After choosing your search criteria, you can perform the search in a number of ways.
- After typing in the search query text box, press the
- Click the blue search button connected to the search query text box.
- Click the Refine button in any of the search facet boxes.
The search summary shows:
- All criteria used to perform the search
- The number of results returned
- The time taken to perform the search on the server